Whale Watching and Whales of Iceland Exhibition
0 years old
This is the perfect family day in Reykjavík! In this combo tour you’ll get to go whale watching and visit the Whales of Iceland exhibition. Allowing you to see these beautiful animals in the wild and then see full-scale models of them to get an idea of just how big they actually are. You can choose to start with whale watching, or with a a trip to the Whales of Iceland Exhibition.
Set sail on board a Classic or Express Whale Watching tour to see the whales in their natural habitat. We head out to the feeding grounds in Faxaflói Bay where we search for commonly spotted whales like humpback whales, minke whales, white-beaked dolphins and harbour porpoises. It is sometimes difficult to realize how huge these animals are when you see them in the water, which is why we recommend stopping by Whales of Iceland Exhibition on the other side of the harbour. Here you can get a good idea of how small we humans are compared to the ocean wildlife. At the largest whale exhibition in Europe all 23 species that can be found in the surroundings of Iceland in real size are shown and you learn lot of interesting facts about the whales and their history.
Please note: You only need to select a departure time for the whale watching tour, and not for the exhibition. The ticket for the exhibition is an open ticket, meaning you can simply choose when you want to go. This does not have to be the same day as your whale watching tour. Both Whale Watching Classic and Whale Watching Express apply for this tour.
There are daily guided tours in English at Whales of Iceland at 11:00 and 15:00, open to anyone with a ticket to the exhibition at no extra cost. The film Sonic Sea (60 minutes) is shown daily at 10:30, 12:15, 14:00, and 15:45.
Special Tours Iceland app with 5 languages (English, German, French, Spanish and simplified Chinese) available for Android and Apple. It is available for all clients to download during their tour, with both text and audio information. The app will is as close to an audio guided wildlife adventure as possible
Included / What to bring
- Entry or admission fee
- Guided boat tour
- Warm overalls
- Free WI-FI
- Café on-board the boat
Whales of Iceland
- Vewing of the film Sonic Sea at 10:30, 12:15, 14:00, and 15:45 every day,
- Live-guided tours available at 11:00 and 15:00
- Free audio guide available in 12+ languages
- Free parking
- Food & drinks
- Food & drinks are available for purchase on the whale watching tour, and in the café at the Whales of Iceland Exhibition.
What to bring
- Warm clothes & sturdy shoes for the whale watching tour
Special Tours Ticket Office – Whale Watching
Geirsgata 11, 101 Reykjavík, IS
Whales of Iceland Exhibition
Fiskislóð 23, 101 Reykjavík, IS
- Pick-up is available
- Public transportation nearby
- Accessible for those with limited mobility
- Accessible for those with limited eye sight
- As the weather in Iceland can be quite unpredictable, we advise you that this tour is weather dependent. In case of unfavourable conditions in the bay, the itinerary may be altered (often resulting in a slightly longer tour) or the tour could get cancelled altogether.
- Since this is a wildlife tour we can never predict or guarantee sightings of any kind.
We will charge a cancellation fee of 100% if booking is cancelled 23 hours or less before the event
This tour can be added to our Family Itinerary!
Check out our Family itineraries and let us help you create the perfect family holiday in Iceland! Please contact me if you have any questions or need help with the planning!
Have any questions?
If you have any questions or a special request we are here to help!