Snorkeling in Silfra with transfer from Reykjavík
12 years old
Snorkeling in Silfra is a once-in-a-lifetime experience. You’ll find yourself swimming between tectonic plates, floating in pure, filtered glacier water. Tick this ultimate tour with breathtaking underwater views in the world´s clearest waters off your bucket list. You’ll receive GoPro underwater photos after your tour for free.
✓ Free underwater GoPro photos
✓ Small Group experience
✓ Snorkeling between North American and Eurasian tectonic plates
✓ Certified Snorkeling Guide
Earth is divided with underground tectonic plates. Iceland is situated right in the middle of the two of them – North American and Eurasian Tectonic Plates. Silfra Fissure is one of the places in Iceland where you can see where the tectonic plates have slowly been separating – yet not on land, but under water.
In this magical place, the water is considered to be one of the cleanest waters in the world, with a visibility of more than 100 meters. This incredibly clean water comes from the melted ice of Langjökull glacier.
Join us on an adventure in Silfra – the only place in the world where you can snorkel in the middle of two tectonic plates.
During the activity, you will be swimming between two tectonic plates. Your guide will eventually send you all the GoPro photos after the tour.
You will need a car to join this activity. Silfra Fissure is located in the Thingvellir National Park – around 50 minutes away from Reykjavik. If you do not have a car, you can book this tour here with a transfer.
Once you get to the location, it is important to give your snorkeling guide a filled medical form (it is important to read the medical form before booking the tour). Your guide will then give you all the equipment – a thermal undersuit to keep you warm, a dry suit to keep you dry, fins to swim, and other necessary snorkeling equipment.
Once you get warm and ready, your guide will teach you how to snorkel, what to do if you get tired in the water, and other important information.
You can leave all your clothes and other items in our Tröll bags, which are kept securely at all times. You will then start walking towards Silfra with your dry suit on. The walk to Silfra is short, roughly 5 minutes long.
Once you get to the location, just jump into the crystal clear water, and enjoy one of the most beautiful places on earth!
Please make sure you sign this Snorkeling Medical Statement before the tour – click here
Included / What to bring
- Small group (max 6 people per guide)
- Certified Snorkelling guide
- Silfra entrance fee
- Free photos
- Snorkeling equipment and drysuit
- Hot drinks and cookies after the tour
What to bring
- Thermal underwear (thermal shirt and pants) and an extra pair of warm socks for snorkeling
- Change of clothes (just in case)
- Contact lenses if you wear glasses
- Warm clothes (first layer)
- Remove all your jewellery (earrings, necklaces, watches, wrist bands, rings, etc.) before the tour
Pick ups are in downtown Reykjavík from 9:00 am to 9:30, depending on where you are staying.
We offer pick-up only from Reykjavik city greater area from designated locations found on a drop-down menu at the time of booking. We ask all our customers to send their pick up location at least 24 hours prior to the departure of their tour. We cannot be responsible if you do not provide your pick up location or miss the departure of your tour. Pick up starts at the scheduled departure time of your voucher and can take up to 30 minutes. We ask our passenger to be ready at their listed location so they can be easily found.
- Pick-up is from designated locations in Reykjavík on a drop-down menu at the time of booking. Pick-up is not available from Keflavik airport or outside of the greater capital area.
To be able to do this tour, you have to comply the following requirements:
- Participants MUST have read and signed this Snorkeling Medical Statement before the tour – click here. We recommend that you bring the form already printed out and signed, but you can sign the form at the meeting location if not.
- Be able to swim.
- Be able to communicate in English.
- Be physically fit.
- Not be pregnant.
- You must be ready to wear a dry suit tight at the neck to protect your body from the cold water.
- You must have a height and weight of minimum 150 cm and 45 kilos, and of maximum 200 cm and 120 kilos.
- The age limit is a minimum of 12 years old and a maximum of 69 years old at the time of the tour to participate. Also, if you will be 60 years old or over at the time of the tour, you need a medical waiver signed by a doctor, available on page 2 of this Snorkeling Medical Statement – click here.
- Participants under the age of 18 must be accompanied in the water by a parent or adult guardian booked on the same tour.
- This tour can be canceled up to 24 hours from the departure time with the full price refunded by sending an email firstname.lastname@example.org
- All cancellations requested less than 24 hours from the departure time are non-refundable.
- In the case of cancellation of the tour by the operator because of extreme weather, road conditions, or other factors, we will assist you with rebooking to another date or booking other activities when possible or provide a full refund.
Need help with booking?
Please send us a message if you need help with booking this tour
This tour can be added to our Family Itinerary!
Check out our Family itineraries and let us help you create the perfect family holiday in Iceland! Please contact me if you have any questions or need help with the planning!
Have any questions?
If you have any questions or a special request we are here to help!