Skaftafell 3 Hour Glacier Hike
8 years old
Skaftafell, South Coast
Your tour will start at Hof, where you will meet your highly qualified glacier guide, 20 minutes before departure.
Once you arrive to the spot, your guide will provide you with all the necessary gear – crampons, a helmet, an ice axe, and footwear / rainwear (if needed).
Once geared up, you will start your journey towards the glacier.
Due to large amounts of melted ice, it will take roughly 20 minutes (by walk) to reach the glacier. On the way, you will be able to see how the ice has deformed the bedrock, the moss line of the surrounding mountains will indicate where ice used to be just a few years ago, and a lagoon, where you’ll see the last remains of the melted ice.
Once you reach the glacier, your guide will teach you how to walk on ice, and after a quick safety talk, you’ll start your hike on the icy Falljökull glacier – one of the most magical yet mysterious outlets of the Vatnajökull Glacier. Falljökull outlet is different from other outlets due to the dramatically carved glacier landscapes, which you’ll be able to see while on the 3 hour hike. During the tour, your guide will take you to the most magnificent parts of the glacier – such attractions include crevasses, moulins, glacier mice (a type of moss), massive ice falls, and sometimes ice caves.
Included / What to bring
- Certified Glacier Guide
- Small Group
- Glacier equipment: helmet, ice axe, headlamp, and crampons
What to bring
- Warm clothes
- Inner layer – Shirt / T-shirt (wool or synthetic)
- Insulating layer – Polyester Sweater / Fleece Sweater / Insulated Down Jacket
- Outer layer – Waterproof jacket and pants (can be rented from Tröll)
- Hiking pants / fleece pants
- Socks (wool / hiking)
- Hiking / Climbing boots (can be rented from Tröll)
- Hat, gloves, sunglasses
- Small water bottle
- Joy & happiness!
Troll Expeditions Skaftafell
Hvalvörðugilslækur, 786 Hof, IS
- Jeans are not recommended for glacier activities. Once it gets wet, it takes a long time to dry, leaving you cold.
- All-day tours can be cancelled up to 24 hours from the departure time with the full price refunded by sending an email to email@example.com All cancellations requested less than 24 hours from the departure time are non-refundable.
- In the case of cancellation of the tour by the operator because of extreme weather, road conditions, or other factors, we will assist you with rebooking to another date or booking other activities when possible or provide a full refund.
- The 24 hour policy “applies to extras as well (rental Hiking Boots, Waterproof Jacket & Waterproof Pants).
This tour can be added to our Family Itinerary!
Check out our Family itineraries and let us help you create the perfect family holiday in Iceland! Please contact me if you have any questions or need help with the planning!
Have any questions?
If you have any questions or a special request we are here to help!