Reykjavík Whales and Puffins
0 years old
The combo consists of two tours – a puffin tour on a smaller boat where we take you to one of the three islands just off Reykjavík where each year thousands of birds come to breed and a whale watching tour that takes you further into the bay to see the incredible whales (humpbacks / minkes) and dolphins that live in our bay.
Puffin watching is a fun and easy adventure on a boat. Depending on the tides and conditions on the islands our captains will take you to either Akurey, Engey or Lundey. The islands are well known for their plentiful birdlife and in addition to puffins you have the opportunity to view other birds. If the weather is right we might even turn off the engines so that you can enjoy the nature better and listen to the bird’s calls. During the tour the crew will tell you interesting facts and tales about the puffins and the surroundings. The puffin tour is roughly 1 hour.
Summer season is great for whale watching, as the wildlife in the bay is at its highest peak. This is the time when the Minke whales are at their most abundant, along with the white-beaked dolphins and harbour porpoises, giving us the chance to enjoy and understand them in their natural environment. The whale watching tour lasts around 3 hours overall.
Availability is as follows:
START TIME 08:00 (08:00 Puffin tour & 10:00 Whale tour)
START TIME 09:00 (09:00 Whale tour & 14:00 Puffin tour)
START TIME 10:00 (10:00 Puffin tour & 13:00 Whale tour)
START TIME 12:00 (12:00 Puffin tour & 14:00 Whale tour)
Included / What to bring
- Excellent English guidance
- 3 hour whale watching tour on a big boat
- 1 hour puffin tour on a smaller boat
- Free WiFi
- Use of warm overalls
- WC facilities
- Tip / Gratuity
- Hotel transfer
What to bring
- Sturdy footwear
- Thick jacket
- Pick-up is available (Pick-up starts 45 minutes before departure)
- Public transportation nearby
- Accessible for those with limited mobility
- Accessible for those with limited eye sight
- As the weather in Iceland can be quite unpredictable, we advise you that this tour is weather dependent. In case of unfavourable conditions in the bay, the itinerary may be altered (often resulting in a slightly longer tour) or the tour could get cancelled altogether. You will be notified of any changes as soon as possible, but we suggest that you have a look at our online whale diary to check for updates on your departure.
- Since this is a wildlife tour we can never predict or guarantee sightings of any kind. Additionally, abide by a Code of Conduct for responsible whale watching and thus each encounter is on the animal’s terms. This means that we may manoeuvre the boat in a certain way or keep our distance to minimise potential disturbance. In the event that we don’t encounter any whales or dolphins, we do not offer refunds, but instead give our passengers a complimentary ticket to use another day.
Refund if cancelled at least 1 day before the event
This tour can be added to our Family Itinerary!
Check out our Family itineraries and let us help you create the perfect family holiday in Iceland! Please contact me if you have any questions or need help with the planning!
Have any questions?
If you have any questions or a special request we are here to help!