Reykjavík Puffin Watching
0 years old
These classic puffin tours are intimate, fun and a comfortable adventure on a small boat! Here is your chance to experience the ‘clowns of the sea’ in their natural environment.
Available: 1 May – 15 August
Duration: 1-1,5 hrs.
Stop by Elding ticket office at the Old Harbour in downtown Reykjavík and exchange your prepaid voucher for admission tickets. One of our expert guides will meet you on board one of our comfortable and stable boats, docked at the floating pier in front of our Wildlife Exhibition. Depending on the tides and conditions on the islands our captains will take you to either Engey, Akurey or Lundey, one of three islands well known for their plentiful birdlife. We cannot go on the islands, but try and get as close as possible without disturbing the nesting birds. In addition to puffins you have the opportunity to view other birds.
The island’s shores are rocky but our captains know the best spots to get close to the puffins without disturbing any natural behaviour. If the weather is right we might even turn off the engines so that you can enjoy the nature better and listen to the bird’s calls. During the tour the crew will tell you interesting facts and tales about the puffins and the surroundings. As the birds are small in size, we recommend bringing a good zoom lens for ‘close up’ photography or binoculars (also available board).
Combine this tour with whale watching
Included / What to bring
- Excellent English guidance
- 1 hour puffin tour
- Use of binoculars
- Use of warm overalls
- WC facilities
- Tip / Gratuity
- Hotel transfer
What to bring
- Sturdy footwear
- Thick jacket
- Tripod for better camera stability (if taking photographs)
- A good zoom lens for close up photographs (if taking photographs)
Please stop by the Elding office in the Old Harbour no later than 15 min. prior to tour departure to collect your ticket(s).
Elding ticket office
Ægisgardur 5, 101 Reykjavík, IS
- Pick-up is available (Pick-up starts 45 minutes before departure)
- Public transportation nearby
- As the weather in Iceland can be quite unpredictable, we advise you that this tour is weather dependent. In case of unfavourable conditions in the bay, the itinerary may be altered (often resulting in a slightly longer tour) or the tour could get cancelled altogether. You will be notified of any changes as soon as possible, but we suggest that you have a look at our online whale diary to check for updates on your departure.
- Since this is a wildlife tour we can never predict or guarantee sightings of any kind. Additionally, abide by a Code of Conduct for responsible whale watching and thus each encounter is on the animal’s terms. This means that we may manoeuvre the boat in a certain way or keep our distance to minimise potential disturbance. In the event that we don’t encounter any whales or dolphins, we do not offer refunds, but instead give our passengers a complimentary ticket to use another day.
Refund if cancelled at least 1 day before the event
Have any questions?
If you have any questions or a special request we are here to help!