Katla Ice Cave from Vík
8 years old
Vík, South Coast
Katla Volcano Ice Cave Tour is a unique place highlighted by ice and fire at the foot of the mighty Katla volcano.
✓ A Super Jeep drive into a magnificent canyon and ice cave
✓ Panoramic views during the off-road journey towards Katla Volcano Ice Cave
✓ Off the beaten path
✓ Away from the crowds
✓ Real Game of Thrones Dragon-Glass
✓ Volcanic glacier ice mixed with lava from Katla
✓ One of the best kept secrets in Iceland
✓ A tour only accessible with modified jeeps
✓ Stunning ice formations
✓ Guide will take photos of you (if requested)
The tour begins at the Soup Company in Vík, where you will find our experienced glacier guide and a modified Super-jeep at our meeting point. You will climb aboard an off-road monster truck that will navigate you through rough terrain towards the edges of the legendary Katla Volcano and the massive icecap which resides above it.
As you absorb the sweeping views of the mountains, glaciers and black volcanic deserts of the Mýrdalssandur flood plains, your guide will share with you the fascinating stories, tales and extraordinary geology that are connected to this beautiful area in the South of Iceland.
After the adventurous drive up to the highlands, you will get off the Super-jeep near the edge of the glacier. You will be given a helmet, headlamps and crampons to wear whilst hiking. Your qualified guide will inform you on how to use the gear and how to stay safe and secure during this adventure that takes us through multiple ice formations in the volcanic glacier outlets of Mýrdalsjökull glacier, that is inaccessible for the typical tourist.
Katla is a name that will put shivers down any Icelanders spine. She is one of Iceland’s most feared and devastating volcanoes. Having been dormant for over 100 years to this day, we want to take you up to her roots for an unforgettable adventure, playing in the fire and ice and seeing the picturesque landscapes that have been formed and shaped by the might and power from the previous Katla eruptions.
This tour is for travelers who want to experience something extraordinary and truly unique. If you want to venture off the beaten path and away from the crowds, Katla Volcano Ice Cave is the right tour for you!
Included / What to bring
- Pick up from Vik
- Ride on a 4×4 Super-Jeep up to the glacier
- Certified Super-jeep driver
- Small Group
- Ice cave equipment: helmet, headlamps, crampons
What to bring
- Warm clothes
- Inner layer – Shirt / T-shirt (wool or synthetic)
- Insulating layer – Polyester Sweater / Fleece Sweater / Insulated Down Jacket
- Outer layer – Waterproof jacket and pants (can be rented from Tröll)
- Hiking pants / fleece pants
- Socks (wool / hiking)
- Hiking boots (can be rented)
- Hat, gloves, sunglasses
- Joy & happiness!
The Soup Company Restaurant
Víkurbraut 5, 870 Vík, IS
- Jeans are not recommended for glacier activities. Once it gets wet, it takes a long time to dry, leaving you cold.
- Ice caves are a dynamic ever-changing natural phenomenon. Each year new unique caves are formed in different areas of the glacier. The photos on our website and social medias are from this season, but the ice cave we visit might have changed due to the dynamic nature of these formations.
- There is several ice caves and ice formations available in the area, the access of certain areas might be affected by the weather conditions.
- All-day tours can be cancelled up to 24 hours from the departure time with the full price refunded by sending an email to email@example.com All cancellations requested less than 24 hours from the departure time are non-refundable.
- In the case of cancellation of the tour by the operator because of extreme weather, road conditions, or other factors, we will assist you with rebooking to another date or booking other activities when possible or provide a full refund.
- The 24 hour policy “applies to extras as well (rental Hiking Boots, Waterproof Jacket & Waterproof Pants).
Have any questions?
If you have any questions or a special request we are here to help!