Blue Ice Cave – Super Jeep
6 years old
The Glacier Lagoon
The tour begins when you meet your expert and friendly guides by the parking lot of Jökulsárlón. They will be waiting for you with a sign by our Super Jeep. After you have entered the vehicle, you’ll drive with your group up on the glacier. Make sure you bring comfortable pants, a warm sweater and a waterproof layer on top of it, in case it rains. Remember you are traveling in winter in Iceland!
The drive itself is exciting and bumpy, so buckle up! Your guide will make sure you feel safe at all times and learn absolutely everything there is to know about the area as you travel on our modified “Super Jeep”. Once you get to the home to the caves, you’ll take a short walk through the glacial landscape and learn about the world-famous Vatnajökull glacier and the surrounding areas, Game of Thrones locations and other productions that took place there.
Ice caves are stunning natural phenomena and a must-see for anyone visiting Iceland during wintertime. Before you know it, you’ll be standing inside an ancient glacier that holds a natural blue ice cave with different shades of blue colors and formations.
The structure and condition of the ice caves vary greatly each season. Our guide decides which cave to visit every day depending on safety and weather conditions. You might be lucky enough and visit other formations such as ice tunnels and crevasses that are made out of blue ice.
Included / What to bring
- Pick up from Jökulsárlón, the glacier lagoon
- Ride on a 4×4 Super Jeep up to the glacier
- Certified Glacier Guide
- Small Group
- Ice cave Equipment: Helmet, Headlamps, and Crampons.
What to bring
- Warm clothes (first layer)
- Waterproof outdoor clothing (second layer)
- Hiking boots (hard sole and high ankle support)
- Gloves and hat
- Joy and happiness!
Troll Expeditions Skaftafell
We highly recommend that you arrive at our meeting point 20 minutes before the departure time stated on your ticket. Please note that if you arrive after departure time, your place on the tour cannot be guaranteed or refunded.
The meeting point is located in the below map.
- Jeans are not recommended for glacier activities. Once it gets wet, it takes a long time to dry, leaving you cold.
- Ice caves are a dynamic ever-changing natural phenomenon only accessible during winter time when temperatures drop below zero. Each year new unique caves are formed in different areas of the glacier. We visit a naturally formed ice cave during this tour. The photos on our website and social medias are from this winter season, but the ice cave we visit might have changed due to the dynamic nature of these formations.
- All-day tours can be cancelled up to 24 hours from the departure time with the full price refunded by sending an email to email@example.com All cancellations requested less than 24 hours from the departure time are non-refundable.
- In the case of cancellation of the tour by the operator because of extreme weather, road conditions, or other factors, we will assist you with rebooking to another date or booking other activities when possible or provide a full refund.
- The 24 hour policy “applies to extras as well (rental Hiking Boots, Waterproof Jacket & Waterproof Pants).
Have any questions?
If you have any questions or a special request we are here to help!